I will protect your pensions. Nothing about your pension is going to change when I am governor. - Chris Christie, "An Open Letter to the Teachers of NJ" October, 2009

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

More Tales of Cutting Teacher Pay

More teachers are weighing on on what Christie's severe pay cuts will mean to them and their families. Post your take on this below; I'll keep reposting and spreading the word. These personal stories are hard to ignore.



Trisha said...




My husband and I are both teachers. We're looking at losing $800 a month. That will devastate us.


Anonymous said...




Same here. My wife and I stand to lose $6,000-$10,000 per year.

We have a mortgage, a three-year old, and a ten-month old. We struggle now. I'm not sure what is going to happen to us if this all goes through. It's frightening.


kfoster said...




My husband is laid off and we are already in big trouble financially and these idiots are going to hate us even more when large numbers of us start to lose our homes which will begin to devalue their homes as well as their property tremendously.


Anonymous said...




I am a teacher and my daughter is in her junior year in college studying to be a teacher. How do I tell her she is making a big mistake? She is so young and enthusiastic. How will she take to being bullied and put down by the governor and angry public that has been made to believe all kinds of lies by a governor who is out there for big business. I teach in an urban district and love my job. Left another profession 16 years ago to teach. Who would want to work in this profession now in the negative climate. I don't know many teachers who stay in charter schools very long. I just want out now. the governor has taken much of the pleasure out of my job which I used to be proud to hold.


CommutingTeacher said...




The other side of this coin is, as was pointed out, our salaries also support many others for various services, lawn, hair, local shops, local restaurants, and a thousand other small areas. I see a future when teachers won't be able to afford to buy girl scout cookies. There are so many ways that public employees give back that this take away from them will trickle down to everyone else.
CommutingTeacher is exactly right. This isn't a fight just for teachers, or cops, or pubic employees: it's a fight for the entire middle class.

Get angry and do something.

No comments: